Four weeks before you move
- Book Fairway Removals to assist in your move
- Notify Post Office of your change of address and redirect your mail
- Notify people who will need to know your new address, eg. doctors, phone and internet company, VicRoads, Medicare and friends and family
- Begin to think about what items you do not want to take with you when you move.
- You can get rid of unwanted items through garage sales and donating to charities.
- Use up as much of the food in the fridge and freezer as possible and begin to pack up items in the cupboard which you know you will not use.
- Make a list of all the items you do want to take with you, and begin to collect packing supplies such as boxes and tape.
- Begin to pack up non-essential items, marking the boxes as to which room they belong to.
- If renting, notify landlord and confirm date you will be leaving the home, arrange for a final inspection in order to get bond back.
Two weeks before you move
- Pack up all important documents such as birth certificates, passports, bank records etc in the one safe place
- Make enquiries for insurance for the new property
- Make arrangements to disconnect your existing services and connect your servces at your new premises eg. electricity, gas, internet, phone etc.
One week before you move
- Confirm your details and arrangments with your removailst
- Pack up remaining items – mark boxes clearly
- Make travel arangements for pets
- Plan what you wish to take in the car with you on the day of the move
- Consider getting moving isurance if you have valuable antiques or fragile items.
2 days before the move
- Defrost freezer and clean out
- Take down curtains and pack away
The day of the move
- Collect keys and gather them in a safe place
- Make sure you have correct payment for the removalist
- Make sure all important documentation and valuables are with you
- Strip beds of all bedding
- Disconnect large appliances such as washing machine and dryer
- Turn off electricity at the meter, and check all windows are securely locked at your old premises
- Make sure removalist has correct address and details
- Check all rooms in the house and garage one last time, making sure you haven’t left anything behind